Tuesday, March 2, 2010

So the following is my interview with my mother about her point of view on prejudice and discrimination.

Me
Okay, so Mum today I'm here to interview you on your point of view towards prejudice and discrimination.
So first of all, what is prejudice to you?

Mum:
Prejudice refers to opinions and attitudes formed by individuals over others. Prejudice is very often hostile and unfavorable. Examples are racial discrimination, like what you are studying now in To Kill A Mockingbird, and racial discrimination.

Me:
So do you have any personal experiences of prejudice?

Mum:
Once, I remember vividly, it was in Australia. We were on a holiday there many years ago. Australia then was experiencing of Chinese immigrant who were making a good living there. While walking along one of the streets, we saw a few youngsters who shouted hostilities at us. They were telling us to go home. I felt angry and upset. Then, I hated them. That left a very bad impression of Australia on me. From then on, I told myself that I will not migrate to any other countries of other nationalities as I do not want to be treated as second class citizens there.

Me:
So how do you think prejudice can be stopped?

Mum:
I feel prejudice can be eliminated or overcome through open-mindedness, understanding, education and interaction with groups or individuals targeted for discrimination. It is not impossible, and we can follow the examples of great individuals such as Abraham Lincoln and Nelson Mandela, who abolished slavery and brought an end to the apartheid policy respectively.
What's most important is self. Always, before you start pointing your fingers at others, look at yourself. We all hold prejudices in one way or another, in some places. Firstly, how we respond to and handle our prejudices make a difference. Secondly, it's all a matter of perception.

Me:
Thank You. That's about it.

(This was uploaded late as blogger had some technical difficulty)

No comments:

Followers