Friday, February 12, 2010

TakeNine: Back Home

I'm many of us went back to our primary schools today. The place where you picked up a lot of stuff, be it good or bad, and have carried it over as you transit from the primary to secondary level. And yes, I went back today too. I saw many familiar faces and relived some nostalgic memories during  my trip there. And there was one face of course, I had mixed feelings about saying hello to..


During the draggy days in primary school there was a rather erratic boy in our class. He was diagnosed as autistic and had some behavior problems. He was really an intelligent guy, having got a Grade 7 for piano and scoring well for his math. But his occasional quirkiness and rather weird sense of humor simply drove him out of everyone's friends lists. Simply talking with him was a horror to my class mates. To be completely honest, I too saw him in a negative light. Its really not easy at all to socialize with people with such unfortunate defects. Even our compassionate form teacher couldn't seal the lid on this particular firefly at times. But God gives his blessings from time to time. And it was to me a blessing that I got to know this autistic figure better because of a peculiar situation.


This autistic dude wandered away from the herd from time to time. So, my physical education teacher assigned me as his "buddy". I was like *face-palm* when I heard about the impromptu decision. What a drag, I had thought. But this assignment actually brought me closer to him and I decided to just accept whatever quirks and queers he had to offer. Sure, in the modern society, conversations with him would be considered lame, but I felt that I ought to give him a chance. Never hurts to be friends I guess. 


I saw him today and he went up to me to converse. Figured I tried my best to entertain him. And I have to say I don't regret any of the time I've probably wasted walking and talking aimlessly around the school. He's a nice guy I guess.


Likewise, we will never really understand some one unless you really get to know 'em. Discrimination and prejudice grow from the seed of arrogance and misunderstanding. I'm sure racism is a great example. Blacks are equal too, not just "three-fifths of a man". And just because majority of construction workers are not Chinese, we cannot brand them as uneducated or inferior;we are the same. "God created all man equal." is a very good statement we can follow. 


I just hope after this I learn to accept the flaws of others and not judge them by their problems, flaws and such.


Peace Out.       

No comments:

Followers